We have learned that some customers are receiving fraudulent automated calls trying to obtain debit card personal identification numbers (PINs). With these calls:
• Caller ID is shows as "Anonymous" or "Unknown" and there is no associated phone number.
• The caller identifies itself as "Umpqua Bank" or "your financial institution."
• In some cases, the caller states your PIN must be changed due to fraud concerns or PIN expiration and asks you to enter your current PIN.
• In other cases, the caller asks you to enter the PIN as a form of identification.
• The caller provides the last 4 digits of the customer's debit card number (numbers may or may not match the customer's actual card number)
These calls are fraudulent and not from Umpqua Bank. Do not provide your PIN or any other information to these callers.
Also, please rest assured that our network and security have not been breached. Other financial institutions are being targeted in this scam as well.
How can I tell whether a caller is legitimate?
It's simple. Umpqua Bank will never call you to ask for your PIN, account numbers or confidential information. Rather, we will only request confidential information to verify your identity when you initiate contact with us. If you receive a suspicious call purporting to be from Umpqua, hang up and call us at 1-866-4UMPQUA (1-866-486-7782) or email us at email@example.com.